The most practical and comprehensive facilitation qualification available in Australia, this hallmark course equips you with leadership, management, community and life skills.
National Course Code: 10783NAT
There are 11 units in total, delivered during eight blocks for a total of 19 contact days, over an eight-month course year. Assessment continues for a further 3 months. Course content has been developed based on our extensive experience of what you need to know practically for effective facilitation practice.
These units meld relevant theory and practice together. Our strong emphasis on facilitation micro-skills includes developing effective communication skills and leadership. We explore the facilitator’s role working with different types of groups and welcome your particular challenges.
We give you skills and processes you can immediately take back into your work with groups. We’ll address your challenges and build on your experience and strengths. This course is a balance of:
- Education units derived from our model of collaborative practice and facilitation approach
- ‘Live’ work issues that you bring from your experience
- Practical techniques which bring the learning to life
- Lots of practice.
We believe there is no teacher like practice! There will be work in large and small groups, roleplays, sociodrama, inner work and exercises using art and drama techniques, personal reflection and fun! You’ll be supported to have a go at different facilitation techniques.
This nationally recognised qualification is offered by Commonground Training Resources Inc, a registered training organisation: Training Organisation ID 22011
There are no prerequisites for the Advanced Diploma of Group Facilitation 10783NAT. The only requirement is a capacity to practice and apply your facilitation skills and understanding developed during the course. Open to beginners through to ‘old hands’. This diversity enriches the group’s learnings.
Prospective participants are required to attend either an Information Session, or have a one-on-one interview with us before being accepted into the course.
Click on any course unit below to read an overview.
Why Study with us?
- You will learn practical skills that you can apply in your work straight away
- Our approach helps build actual emotional resilience. You’ll develop the ability to land on your feet, no matter what happens.
- The way you learn with us is nourishing, helping to sustain you in your work.
- Learning together reflects the realities of group dynamics; you’ll experience facilitation skills in action.
- All assessment tasks are tailored to your work and real-life experience.
- We have a whole-of-person approach, acknowledging the importance of self-reflection. People often use this course to ‘change gears’.
- Our unique models and processes are clear and simple. Your confidence will build as we step through them together.
- This is the highest government-accredited facilitation qualification available in Australia.
- The Groupwork Centre library will be available to you; a specialised selection of practical and inspiring resources that complement the experiential nature of our approach.
Two places in the course are reserved for people on low income. Your facilitation work may be voluntary, or is with an unfunded community group. The subsidised price is a 50% discount – see pricing information below.
To apply for a scholarship:
If you’d like to apply, you need to attend an information session, either before or after you submit Part 2.
Submit a written application of no more than one page, detailing your response to the following areas:
- What is your facilitation work?
- What is your area of work or experience?
- Why do you need a subsidised place?
Please note that it’s highly likely that all full-fee paying places will be taken by the time we announce scholarship recipients. If you miss out on a scholarship, you probably won’t be able to take up a standard course enrolment.
To submit your application
Please send your response to the above three questions by 21 February, 2020 to us via our Contact Us page.
On the Contact Us form, complete your details then enter your submission in the Your Query section.
Successful applicants will be advised by 28 February 2020.
We provide a variety of ongoing support and information about networking options – both for current participants and our graduates. These include:
- Graduates-only events to keep you connected and inspired by your facilitation principles – and peer support network
- Updates on resources and processes we share with current participants are made available to graduates on our website
- We offer Peer Learning Circles – ongoing small group support around facilitation after graduation
- Victorian Facilitation Network – the local chapter of the Australasian Facilitation Network, which is the peak body for facilitation in Australia and New Zealand. This is a public forum open to all people interested in facilitation. Meetings run for two hours, once per month.
- Annual Australasian Facilitation Network conference
Held at Groupwork Centre Training Rooms & Commonground Conference Centre.
See more about our delightful spaces for training.
Fees for 2020 Participants
All fees are paid in instalments over the course year.
There is no GST for this registered qualification.
Early bird: $11,200.
- Available when you pay your deposit by the due date:
- Deposit of $1,500 payable by 19 December 2019
- Deposit of $1,500 payable by 28 February 2020 to secure your place.
- Deposit of $750 payable by 31 March 2020.
- Applications for two scholarship places open now until 21 February 2020. Please refer to Scholarship Places section above.
Discount available: You can have a discount of $220 off the total price if you have attended one of our Facilitation Training 2-day public short courses.
This nationally recognised qualification is offered by
Commonground Training Resources Inc,
a registered training organisation.
Training Organisation ID 22011
Price: $11,800GST exempt
Early Bird Price: $11,200GST exempt
Deposit Required: $1,500GST exempt